I'm sure you know that I grew up in Montana, land of meat and potatoes. This dish takes me right back to my life there. It makes me homesick quite frankly. If you're like me, this dish has everything you love in a comfort food dish. Bacon and cheese mixed into mashed potatoes? Seriously, how can there be anything wrong with that?
I didn't have any green onions but I know it would have been wonderful with them sprinkled on top.
The only extra step you make to prepare these vs regular mashed potatoes is adding them to the oven to melt the cheese. It's easy peasy. If you have your own favorite way to make mashed potatoes then by all means, do that, just add the bacon and cheese too.
Baked Potato Casserole
Recipe from Facebook via Jarron Remington
- 8 medium potatoes (peeled and cut into 1" chunks)
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup light sour cream
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 6 slices bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
- sliced green onions for garnish, optional
- In a large pot, add the potatoes and cover with water, then boil until tender. About 15 or 20 minutes. Drain
- Preheat the oven to 350º
- Spray a 2 1/2 to 3 quart casserole pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Put the potatoes back to the pot they were cooked in and add the milk, sour cream, salt and pepper. Use a potato masher or a blender to mash the potatoes until smooth.
- Add in 1 1/2 cups of cheese and half the bacon crumbles. Mix well.
- Put the potato mixture into the prepared dish and top with the remaining cheese and bacon crumbles. Top with green onions if using.
- Bake for about 3 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
- Serve hot.