September 5, 2013

Lemon Crinkle Cookies



I'm not sure if you've noticed my love of lemon yet on this blog.  I do love me some lemon. My gramma used to make the best Lemon Meringue Pie and yet I haven't even posted that kind of pie yet....soon to be rectified, trust me. I got off track didn't I?

Let me try again.

I've never met a crinkle cookie that I haven't liked, they are usually always soft and chewy and coating them in powdered sugar just makes this lovely to look at.  Usually there are beautiful cracks throughout and when coated in powdered sugar those cracks stand out even more making them very attractive. I'm so grateful that I found this recipe because up until now I'd only had this lemon cookie to fall back on.  It's important to have more than one lemon cookie to fall back on in my opinion.

Here's what I loved about this cookie.


  1. Lot's of lemon flavor without being so strong that you actually pucker when taking a bite. 
  2. Texture, I loved the chewy factor in this one. 
  3. Coated in powdered sugar, need I say more? The powdered sugar makes sort of a glaze in some spots that gets sort of crisp after it cools, which adds to the texture aspect. 
  4. Nothing to "melt" making it perfect for picnics or outdoor parties. 


Lemon Crinkle Cookies
Recipe from LDSLiving by Lauren Brennen of Laurenslatest.com


Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 whole egg
  • 1 tsp lemon zest
  • 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/8 tsp baking soda
  • 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup powdered sugar
Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 350º and line two cookie sheets with parchment paper. 
  2. In the bowl of your stand mixer, add the softened butter and sugar and beat until light and fluffy.  
  3. Add the vanilla, egg, lemon zest and lemon juice and mix well.  Scrape the bowl and then mix again. 
  4. In a small bowl, add the remaining ingredients (minus the powdered sugar). 
  5. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the stand mixer bowl and mix until combined. 
  6. Put 1/2 cup of powdered sugar into a shallow bowl. 
  7. Roll a heaping teaspoon of dough into a ball and then roll the ball around in the powdered sugar until well coated. 
  8. Place on the prepared cookie sheet and continue with the rest of the dough. 
  9. Bake for 9-11 minutes.  The cookies will remain pale in color, you're looking for them to turn matte, not shiny and not brown. 
  10. If using a dark cookie sheet, reduce baking time by 2 minutes. 

No comments: