September 30, 2013

Overnight Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal



I'm sure that some of you may have seen this recipe floating around on Facebook.  I'd seen it several times and decided it was time to try it out.  I love apple cinnamon oatmeal and having it ready first thing in the morning sounded like a win win to me. 

This recipe is super simple to put together right before you head to bed for the night.  I'm sure you have most of these ingredients already in your house so why not give it a try? 

Sorry for the lousy pictures below - after all I did make it right before bedtime. 


I cut peeled the apples and sliced them into chunks, rather than slices.  It's up to you. Roll them around the cinnamon mixture and lay them at the bottom of the slow cooker.


Next comes the oatmeal.


Milk and water mixture is next.


Don't stir, just turn it on low and let it cook overnight.  See? Easy. 

Perfect dish for those cold morning and for using up some of those apples you just picked at the orchard. :)

I loved the way it made my house smell.  When I first opened the lid it looked a little runny to me, but after stirring it it came right back to a good oatmeal consistency.  You can definitely taste the cinnamon and apples.  It's not overly sweet which is nice in case you want to add some raisins or honey. 
Great recipe to make those busy mornings a little easier.  

Overnight Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal
Recipe from Anita Maria via Facebook


Ingredients
  • 2 sliced (or cubed) apples
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • pinch of salt
  • 2 cups old fashioned oatmeal
  • 2 cups milk
  • 2 cups water
Cooking Directions
  1. Place the apples, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt in a small bowl and stir to coat.
  2. Pour the apple mixture into the bottom of a slow cooker.
  3. Add the oatmeal on top of the apples.
  4. Add the milk and water on top of the oatmeal. DO NOT STIR.
  5. Set your slow cooker for low heat and cook for 8-9 hours.

No comments: