September 9, 2013

Homemade Whatchamacallit KitKat Bars



I tried this recipe when I was in Montana and was immediately smitten.  My friend Veronica made them and of course I was too busy eating them to actually take a picture of them.  Oh darn, guess I have to make them again myself. :) I have to say, I'm not sure that I would call them KitKat Bars exactly, they are sort of like a Whatchamacallit Bar and sort of like a KitKat Bar but not exactly either one of those.  The one thing they are is G.O.O.D.

One of my favorite parts of this bar is the chocolatey topping.  I'm a huge fan of the chocolate/butterscotch flavor combination.  My gramma makes a Special K bar that has a similar topping and I just can't get enough of it.

Brings back such good memories.

Homemade Kit Kat Bars
Recipe from Tastebook introduced to me by Veronica W. 


Ingredients
  • 75 Club crackers
  • 1 cup butter
  • 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
  • 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
  • 1/2 cup whole milk
  • 1/3 cup granulated sugar
  • 2/3 cup creamy peanut butter
  • 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 1/2 cup butterscotch chocolate chips
Directions
  1. Line a 9x13 inch ungreased dish with a layer of crackers, cutting to fit. 
  2. In a large saucepan melt the butter over medium heat. 
  3. Add the cracker crumbs, brown sugar, milk and granulated sugar. Boil for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. 
  4. Remove from the heat and pour half the mixture over the crackers. 
  5. Top with another layer of club crackers and then pour the rest of the butter mixture over the top of that. 
  6. Top with the remaining crackers. 
  7. In a small saucepan combine the peanut butter, semi-sweet chips and butterscotch chips.  Melt over medium low heat stirring constantly. 
  8. Pour evenly over the crackers and then refrigerate for at least 1 hour. 

No comments: