I tried this recipe when I was in Montana and was immediately smitten. My friend Veronica made them and of course I was too busy eating them to actually take a picture of them. Oh darn, guess I have to make them again myself. :) I have to say, I'm not sure that I would call them KitKat Bars exactly, they are sort of like a Whatchamacallit Bar and sort of like a KitKat Bar but not exactly either one of those. The one thing they are is G.O.O.D.
One of my favorite parts of this bar is the chocolatey topping. I'm a huge fan of the chocolate/butterscotch flavor combination. My gramma makes a Special K bar that has a similar topping and I just can't get enough of it.
Brings back such good memories.
Homemade Kit Kat Bars
Recipe from Tastebook introduced to me by Veronica W.
- 75 Club crackers
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup butterscotch chocolate chips
- Line a 9x13 inch ungreased dish with a layer of crackers, cutting to fit.
- In a large saucepan melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the cracker crumbs, brown sugar, milk and granulated sugar. Boil for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from the heat and pour half the mixture over the crackers.
- Top with another layer of club crackers and then pour the rest of the butter mixture over the top of that.
- Top with the remaining crackers.
- In a small saucepan combine the peanut butter, semi-sweet chips and butterscotch chips. Melt over medium low heat stirring constantly.
- Pour evenly over the crackers and then refrigerate for at least 1 hour.