I realize it's a little soon for tomato soup recipes, it's possible that I'm just ready for fall to get here. I love fall, it's my favorite time of the year. Here's another thing I love, this soup. I didn't know how I'd like it with the sherry in it but I LOVE it!
Want another little surprise?
My daughter LOVES it. She does ask me to remove the "chunks" so I strain it and she gobbles it up. That was the most shocking part about this recipe for me. She asks for it all the time and I can see why. We all loved it. The cream takes the acidic bite out of the tomatoes, the sherry gives a wonderful background without overpowering it.
I can't wait to try it with a recipe I saw for grilled cheese croutons.....YUM!
Definitely a new family favorite!
Sherried Tomato Soup
Recipe by ThePioneerWoman
- 6 Tbsp melted butter
- 1 whole medium onion, diced
- 1 bottle (46 oz) tomato juice
- 2 cans (14 oz) diced tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp (up to 3 Tbsp) chicken base
- 3 Tbsp (up to 6 Tbsp) sugar
- pinch of salt
- pepper to taste
- 1 cup cooking sherry
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- chopped fresh parsley
- chopped fresh basil
- Saute the diced onion in the butter until it's translucent.
- Add the tomato juice, diced tomatoes, chicken base, sugar, salt and pepper. Bring to a near boil and then turn off the heat.
- Add the cooking sherry, heavy cream, fresh parsley and basil to taste.