November 12, 2013

Gramma's Pepper Steak



I remember growing up with this meal, it brings back warm memories of my dinners at my gramma's house.  I'm happy to say that when I made it it turned out just like my gramma's.  This recipe is one she had published in the "Brisban Community Cookbook" so I feel like it's OK to put it here on my blog.

This little cookbook is a treasure, if you've never seen one of these little community cookbooks you've got to find one.  Talk about great recipes!  I can't wait to post more of them soon.

This recipe is quick once you get all the slicing done.  Much easier to have it all waiting for you.  I speak from experience. I think from start to finish this was done in about 30 minutes or so.  My husband says I can make it anytime I want.  Translation: Please please please make this again and don't change anything at all like you usually do that drives me so crazy.  See how I can read him so well? I have a bad habit of changing things around but this being one of my gramma's recipes, I wouldn't change it. I like to remember it just as she made it.

Just so you know, my gramma is alive and well at 93.  Though she doesn't cook anymore I'm sure she'd eat this up if it were made for her.  Hi gramma!

Pepper Steak
From my gramma Marge F.


Ingredients
  • 1 pound round steak, thinly sliced into strips
  • 1 can (12 oz) beef broth
  • 1 1/2 cups sliced celery
  • 1 medium bell pepper, cut into strips
  • 1 large onion, thinly sliced
  • 1 1/2 cup mushrooms, sliced
  • 1/2 cup green onions, sliced (optional)
  • 1 Tbsp soy sauce
  • 2 Tbsp cornstarch
  • 1/4 cup water
Directions
  1. It's best to have all the ingredients sliced before you begin….
  2. Heat about 2 Tbsp of oil in a large deep skillet and add the beef.  Brown over medium high heat. 
  3. Add the broth, vegetables and soy sauce and reduce the heat to simmer, cover and let cook for 10 minutes. 
  4. In a small dish, combine the water and cornstarch and then pour over the meat and vegetables. 
  5. Cook until the vegetables are tender. 
  6. Serve over rice if desired. 

No comments: