November 28, 2013

Pumpkin Flan


Happy Thanksgiving everyone!  I hope you've got some fun plans with family and or friends today.  My daughter and I will be heading over to my neighbors house today for dinner since my husband is out of town working. :(  Our Thanksgiving will be on Saturday when he's home.  

If you follow me on Facebook you might have read that I attempted this Pumpkin Flan for the first time yesterday to bring to my neighbors house today.  I mentioned I had already made a mistake on it.  So the mistake I made wasn't huge, I just forgot to cover it with tin foil before popping it in the oven.  I let it cook for the entire 50 minutes before I realized my mistake.  Well after 50 minutes it wasn't done…so I put tin foil on it and baked it for another 20 minutes and low and behold, that did the trick.  I think it looks beautiful, just like a flan is supposed to look.  The texture is perfect and the taste is much like a pumpkin pie, minus the crust.  The caramel topping really brings this one home. 


See the sides? It's perfect. :)

Now that I've made one I feel like making more, trying new and different flavors.  I love the fact that it's crust less because I'm not a huge crust girl. I also love the idea of having the top, on the bottom, until the cooking is over and then flipping it over.  It makes the caramel run over the sides and as you know, I'm a caramel lover.

Overall I'm very happy with this dessert and can't wait to share it with my neighbors today!


Pumpkin Flan


Ingredients
  • 3/4 cups sugar (for the caramel)
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1 - 15 oz can pure pumpkin puree
  • 1 - 12 oz can evaporated milk
  • 1 - 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
  • 1 pinch ground cinnamon
  • 1 pinch ground nutmeg
Cooking Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 350º
  2. Melt the sugar slowly and carefully in a heavy saucepan over medium heat.  It will turn golden in color but will burn quickly so watch it carefully. 
  3. Once the sugar is melted and golden, pour it into a flan mold (or a pan you have). Swirl around the pans all the caramel is covering the bottom. 
  4. In a separate mixing bowl beat the eggs lightly and add the remaining ingredients, stirring lightly after each addition. 
  5. Mix well. 
  6. Pour the ingredients over the caramel in the pan and cover it with aluminum foil
  7. Place the dish inside of a large pan (like a jelly roll pan) that has boiling water in it until it reaches halfway up the outside of the pan with the flan in it. **You might find it easier to add the boiling water to the large pan after you've already placed it in the oven, so there is less spilling**
  8. Place the pan in the center of the oven. 
  9. Bake for 50 minutes. 
  10. You can test for doneness by inserting a table knife in the center of the flan and when it comes out clean, it's done. 
  11. Run a table knife along the edges of the pan to loosen it. Go all the way around. 
  12. Place your serving platter face side down, on top of the dish you cooked the flan in. (After you've removed it from the pan with the water in it). 
  13. Quickly flip the pan over so the serving dish is now on the bottom and the flan has been inverted.  You should hear and feel it plop down on the dish.  Carefully remove the dish, let come to room temperature then cover and refrigerate for 3 to 4 days. 

No comments: