You're looking at my daughters birthday "cake". Best birthday cake ever for several reasons:
- It takes little to nothing to decorate (I'm a terrible decorator)
- It tastes amazing! Soft inside, chewy edges, plenty-o-chocolate
- Easy to transport, because there was hardly any frosting and weren't any layers. The frosting that is on there is only so the candles I put on top would stay in place.
- It won't melt much, and any chocolate chips that do get melty make it that much better.
- Much easier to make than a cake. I served this with regular sized cookies for the kids to take home with them.
My daughter and I will both eat cake, plenty of it actually, but cake isn't necessarily our favorite. This year for my daughters birthday she originally said she wanted cookies decorated like a peacock (one of her favorite birds) but I quickly talked her out of that. Remember, I can't decorate. Luckily it didn't take much convincing that a chocolate chip cookie would be loved by all. And they were. I'm such a good parent.
Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake
Recipe from Sally's Baking Addiction
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 cup packed brown sugar, light or dark
- 1 large egg + 1 large egg yolk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350º
- Spray a 9 inch round cake pan with non-stick spray
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, using the paddle attachment, beat the softened butter for 1 minute until light and fluffy.
- Add brown sugar and beat for another minute.
- Add in the egg, egg yolk and vanilla and beat on medium high speed. Use a spatula to scrape down the sides as needed.
- In another bowl, combine the flour, cornstarch, baking soda and salt.
- Slowly add the flour mixture into the mixing bowl and mix until incorporated.
- Add 1 1/4 cup of the chocolate chips and mix briefly.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared dish and press down until level. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Cover with aluminum foil after the first 15 minutes. Baking could take up to 30 minutes.
- After you remove from the oven, let sit for a few minutes until slightly cooled and then press the remaining chocolate chips onto the top.
- If you're going to remove it from the pan, use a butter knife to loosen the edges around the sides and then let cool before removing to another dish. Otherwise just serve it out of the cake pan.