July 21, 2015

PW's Burgundy Mushrooms


I've been meaning to post this recipe for some time.  I was going to do it before vacation.  Now it's two weeks after vacation and I'm just getting around to it.

So here's the thing.  I wasn't sure about this recipe.  I mean, I've heard The Pioneer Woman, Ree Drummond brag about this recipe for years.  She's never led me wrong before, but still I procrastinated. I did that because I like wine, but I don't love it.  I love it in recipes but I don't really sit down all that often and drink a glass of it. So I was afraid that this recipe would have this overwhelming taste of wine.  I mean, it's cooked in 1 quart of the stuff, now could it NOT taste like wine?

I don't know how.....it just doesn't.

I made this recipe for a gathering at a neighbors house.  Actually it was a birthday party, but it was an adults birthday party.  I was told they didn't need anymore desserts (my usual go-to party contribution). I knew that most of the people attending had a fondness for wine so I figured that this would be perfect.

Prepare yourself, this is an all day cooking process but it's oh so worth it. The flavor is hard to describe but there is both chicken and beef bouillon and you can definitely taste them.  There is a little hint of garlic and the butter makes the sauce that's leftover at the bottom is just silky and decadent. It's good to have a good loaf of bread to soak up all that tasty juice.

Also, I couldn't find burgundy wine so I used a cupcake red wine and it was wonderful.


Burgundy Mushrooms
Recipe from The Pioneer Woman


Ingredients
  • 4 pounds white button mushrooms
  • 2 sticks butter
  • 1 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 quart burgundy wine (or other red wine)
  • 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 cups boiling water
  • 4 whole chicken bullion cubes
  • 4 whole beef bouillon cubes
  • 1 tsp dill seed
  • 5 cloves garlic peeled
  • 2 tsp salt
Cooking Directions
  1. Put all of the ingredients except the salt in a large stock pot. Stir together and heat to a boil.
  2. Reduce heat to simmer for 6 hours, covered.
  3. Remove cover and simmer for 3 more hours.
  4. Add salt before serving. Serve with some good crusty bread to suck up the juices.

No comments: