July 16, 2015

Crusty Rhubarb Pie



The number one reason I liked this recipe was the fact that you don't have to make a pie crust.  Sounds lazy I know, but I just didn't feel like finessing a crust. After I made it, the taste made me want to make it again.  Love it.  Again, this recipe tasted like I had added some strawberries but there were none in there, I promise. Just sweet rhubarb.


Easy to assemble, it was a hit at the cookout I brought them too. Easy to eat because they stay together quite well in this bar form that we made them.  The recipe is usually for a pie but I like the bar idea too. We just used a small rectangular dish instead of a pie plate.

This is another great idea for an outdoor pool party or cookout.  Does great in the heat because there's nothing in it that will melt.  

Crusty Rhubarb Pie
Recipe on Relish.com by Barbara Maggs of Washington


Ingredients

Pastry
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 Tbsp sugar
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 2 Tbsp milk (I used 2%)
Filling
  • 6 cups rhubarb, diced
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 6 Tbsp all-purpose flour
  • 1 Tbsp butter, cold and cut into small pieces
Topping
  • 1/4 cup butter, cold and cut into small pieces
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
Cooking Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 350º
  2. In a medium or large bowl, combine the pastry ingredients and mix until smooth. Press into the bottom and sides of a deep dish pie plate.  A small rectangular or square dish will work also. 
  3. Prepare the filling by mixing all the ingredients except the butter.  Pour it into the dish over the bottom crust and then dot with butter pieces. 
  4. Mix the topping ingredients together in a small bowl using forks, pastry blender or your hands to break up the butter.  The mixture should resemble wet sand. Sprinkle over the top of the pie. 
  5. Bake for 1 hour. 
  6. Set aside to cool. 

No comments: