January 7, 2011

Homemade Hot Cocoa


Yes, I bought snowman shaped marshmallows, yes they are vanilla flavored.  I thought they were cute, and they are, especially floating on top of hot cocoa.

This is easy, you should make some.


First mix the dry milk (I know you just happened to have this on hand right?), and the cocoa, powdered sugar, salt and cornstarch.



Add about half a mug full of this powder and add hot water.  This would have only been better with homemade marshmallows which I was too lazy to make.  I did leave out the cayenne pepper, for my daughters sake of course.

This is an Alton Brown recipe: Alton Brown Hot Cocoa

Ingredients


2 cups powdered sugar
1 cup cocoa (Dutch-process preferred)
2 1/2 cups powdered milk
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 pinch cayenne pepper, or more to taste
Hot water

Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl and incorporate evenly. In a small pot, heat 4 to 6 cups of water.
Fill your mug half full with the mixture and pour in hot water. Stir to combine. Seal the rest in an airtight container, keeps indefinitely in the pantry. This also works great with warm milk.

No comments: