January 15, 2011

Roasted Acorn Squash


I hate to admit that I've never (in memory) had an acorn squash before.  In my attempt to try to post some healthier variety on this blog I decided to give it a try.  I mean, I like other squashes so how different could it be right? Right! I found a recipe on one of my favorite recipe sites and gave it a whirl.  It was yummy!  Easy, delicious, and mostly healthy (except for the butter and brown sugar).

Here's what I did.


Here is an acorn squash.  Purdy huh?



Now cut the sucker in half.



Clean it out really well using a spoon and discard the seeds and slimy stuff.



Add a Tbsp of butter (1/2 in each), and 2 Tbsp of brown sugar (1 in each).  Put the squash in a dish where they'll stay upright during the cooking process.



Put some water in the bottom of the dish.  I'd say about 1/4 of the way up the side of the dish. This will keep the squash moist.



I opened the oven and brushed some of the butter mixture on the edges of the squash during cooking.



Let the squash cool for a little while (like 10 to 15 minutes) before scraping the yumminess out of the shell.  Make sure to keep all that butter and brown sugar in with the meat of the squash.  It doesn't make it too sweet, but gives it the perfect amount of flavor/sweetness.  I'm definitely an acorn squash lover after this. 

You can find the recipe here: Acorn Squash
I read some of the comments and followed the suggestions.  I didn't turn them while cooking, I put them in a small pan with some water in it and it worked out just fine.

You will need:

1 Acorn squash, cut in half and seeded
1 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp brown sugar

Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.

Put the cut and seeded squash cut side up in a small dish (I used a 9x9) so that they will stay up without falling over.  Put 1/2 Tbsp of butter in each squash, add 1 Tbsp of brown sugar to each squash.  Fill the dish with a little water and cook for 1 hour. I brushed the cut side of the squash with the butter/sugar mixture once during cooking.  Let sit for at least 10 minutes before removing the squash from it's shell.  Enjoy!

No comments: