March 5, 2012

Country-Style Pork Medallions


My husband picked this recipe out of one of my new cookbooks so you can thank him for the reprieve from sugar.  We're both trying to eat healthier these days which is not an easy task when we're all surrounded by Girl Scout Cookies!  I have a bag of them in my freezer right now that I somehow get into every night.  I can't help it.  It would be rude of me not to eat them right? For the children's sake that is.  Poor little Girl Scouts....see I can convince myself of anything if I really try.

But I digress.  My husband and I both really enjoyed this recipe.  He enjoyed it for the pork and I enjoyed the rest of it.  We're a good team in that regard.  Just like when we eat pizza, I just throw my crusts on his plate and he takes care of them for me.  Isn't that nice?

Why can't I focus?

OK, let's try this again. 

This recipe is pretty simple to make and can be ready pretty quickly.  Perfect for a busy week night meal. I didn't pound out the pork like it instructs below.  I'm a rebel like that.


See all that cream sauce in the picture?  Yeah, we didn't use even a 1/4 of that.  The sauce is good, don't get me wrong.  I just didn't think this recipe needed to be swimming in it.

Your call though.


Country-Style Pork Medallions
Taste of Home "Contest Winning Annual Recipes 2011" page 133


2 pork tenderloins (1 pound each)
6 Tbsp butter, divided
2 small onions, sliced and separated into rings
3/4 pound small fresh mushrooms
2 small apples, cored and cut into rings

Apple Cream Sauce: (I recommend cutting this recipe in half, below is the full recipe)
1 cup apple cider or juice
1 pkg (8 ounces) cream cheese
1/4 cup apple brandy or additional apple cider
1 tsp dried basil

Cut the pork into 1/2 inch slices and then flatten to 1/4 inch thickness. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook pork in batches in 2 Tbsp butter until juices run clear. Remove to a plate and keep warm.
Continue with the remaining pork.

In the same skillet, saute the onions and mushrooms in 2 Tbsp butter until they begin to get tender. Add the apples and saute for another 3-5 minutes or until the apples are tender. Arrange over the pork.

In a saucepan add the cider and cream cheese and cook over medium heat, whisking until smooth. Stir in the brandy or apple cider/juice and basil; heat through. Serve alongside the pork and vegetables.

No comments: