March 16, 2012

Orange Cream Cheese Bread


Pinterest has become my new best friend.  I'm totally addicted and that's where I found this recipe.  I fell in love with the name and then after I baked it I fell in love with the bread too.  Very tender and moist.  I'm a fan of the hint of orange flavor that is not overpowering.  My husband loves walnuts so I added them but I think it would have been just as good without them.

This recipe makes two loaves so you can freeze one or share it. 



Orange Cream Cheese Bread
From "Just a Pinch" found here

1 - 8 oz pkg cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup shortening
1 2/3 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 cup milk
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
2 Tbsp grated orange peel
1/4 cup orange juice

Preheat the oven to 375, grease and flour two 8 inch loaf pans.

In the bowl of your stand mixer, mix the cream cheese and the shortening well until smooth. Gradually add the sugar and beat until light and fluffy.  Add the eggs, mixing well after each addition.

In a separate bowl mix the flour, baking powder and salt. Whisk to combine.  Gradually add this mixture to the cream cheese mixture a little at a time alternating with the milk.  Begin and end with the flour mixture.  Mix well after each addition.

Stir in the orange peel.

Pour the mixture into the prepared loaf pans and bake for 55 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

Let cool for 10 minutes.  Sprinkle the orange juice over the loaves.  Move the loaves to a wire wrack to finish cooling.







4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My recipe calls for 2 1/4 c. flour. I check it out from the recipe on the internet and I believe it should be 2 1/4 c.!!!

Alyssamay's said...

Thank you for catching that typo, I've updated the recipe with the correction.

celliejoe said...

can butter be used instead of shortening? if so, the same amount? thanks.

Alyssamay's said...

Hi celliejoe: Yes you can substitute shortening for the butter. It might slightly alter the taste but not enough to make a huge difference. Thanks for reading my blog and enjoy the bread!