March 19, 2012

Tastes Like Lasagna Soup



Here's another one I found on Pinterest.  Intrigued by the name since I adore lasagna I felt I had to try this and see if it did indeed taste like lasagna.  Amazingly it does!  Nobody was more surprised then I was believe me!  I'm really glad I saw the recipe and I've already told several of my friends about it. I will keep this in my fall soup reserves for sure.  I loved it.


The original recipe says you can put a piece of toasted baguette on top as well as cheese but I didn't have any and honestly didn't feel like it was necessary.  I felt very satisfied after eating it just the way it was.


This might have been the first time I've ever tried turkey Italian sausage before and I really enjoyed it. I will be incorporating it into other things.


I'm a huge fan of this soup.  I know it's spring time in most of the country but if you're from my hometown of Montana and you just got dumped on by snow - now's the perfect time to make this!

Tastes Like Lasagna Soup
Recipe from "Deen Bros." found here
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 pound Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
1 onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 (32-ounce) container chicken broth
1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
1 (14 1/2-ounce) can petite diced tomatoes
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
4 ounces broken whole-wheat lasagna noodles (about 4 noodles)
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup reduced-fat shredded mozzarella cheese
8 Whole-wheat bread sticks or grissini (optional)

In a dutch oven or heavy bottomed soup pot (large) put the oil, sausage, onion, garlic and bell pepper and cook for about 8-10 minutes.  Break up the sausage and cook until it is no longer pink over medium high heat.

Add the broth, tomato sauce and tomatoes, salt and red pepper flakes and bring to a boil.  Lower the heat to simmer and cook for about 20 minutes. 

Break the lasagna noodles into small pieces and add to the soup.  Turn the heat up and bring to a boil; then reduce the heat to simmer and cook until the noodles are done; about 10 - 12 minutes.  The soup should thicken slightly during this time.

Remove from the heat and add in the mozzarella, basil and Parmesan.  Serve with a baguette or bread sticks if desired.

Nutritional information provided at the link above. Makes about 8 cups.

No comments: