January 4, 2013

Homemade Rice and Roni



I've been on a crafty binge lately (to be posted later) and even though I'm not great at it, I still love it.  I'm also desperately trying to lose all the weight I gained over the holiday's.  I'm down 2.5 pounds in one day doing Dr. Oz's three day body cleanse. Two more days to go and the weight loss is really encouraging me to keep it up.  I know a body cleanse isn't really for weight loss but if it's an added bonus I'm all for it.  So far it's pretty painless, although I'm not a fan of the lunch time smoothie but I'm still chugging it down.

I can't wait to eat this rice and roni again.  It was so super good and much better than the kind you buy in the box.  Great side dish!


Just break some spaghetti noodles into small pieces and brown up in a pan. 


Add the other ingredients and let simmer until the moisture is absorbed. 


Perfect for a busy weeknight meal because it's less than 30 minutes!  You could even squeeze in some veggies like peas or carrots (or both)!  Don't forget you can also cut up some chicken and mix it all together for a super quick meal on the go!

Homemade Rice and Roni
Recipe from Paula Deen

Ingredients

  • 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
  • 1/2 pound spaghetti, broken into small pieces
  • 1 cup long grain rice
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 1 tsp dried parsley
  • 2 cups chicken or beef broth
Directions

  1. Break the noodles into small pieces (about 1/2 to 1 inch) and place in a large fry pan with the oil.
  2. Cook the noodles over medium heat until they begin to brown slightly. 
  3. Add the remaining ingredients and cook for about 20 minutes until the rice has absorbed all the liquid. Fluff with a fork.
  4. Salt and pepper as desired. 

No comments: