January 31, 2013

PW's Zannie's Black-Eyed Pea Dip



I know, I know, this is usually a New Years Eve dip but I obviously didn't make it in time to post for that occasion.  It is a Pioneer Woman dip so you know it's good.  I have made it twice since the New Year and I think it might be a great addition to your game day table if you're looking for a vegetarian option, or a healthier option.  It's certainly not health food, don't get me wrong but if it's lined up next to some of the other typical game day food choices it might be considered healthy-er.

I love how some of the black-eyed peas are left whole so you know what you're eating, and the texture is right on for me. You can make it as spicy or mild as you want.

I think this is a great dip for anytime!

Zannie's Black-Eyed Pea Dip
Recipe from The Pioneer Woman


Ingredients
  • 1 can (14 oz) black eyed peas
  • 1/4 whole onion, chopped
  • 1/4 cup sour cream
  • 8 slices jarred jalapenos
  • 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
  • 3 Tbsp salsa
  • hot sauce to taste
  • salt and pepper to taste
Cooking Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Drain the black eyed peas of their liquid and then mash most with a fork, but leave some whole.
  3. Add all of the ingredients together in a medium bowl and mix well.
  4. Spread the mixture into a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish and bake for 20-30 minutes until hot and bubbly.

No comments: