January 28, 2013

Slow-Cooker Pulled Pork Shoulder



Happy Monday!  

I hope you all had a wonderful weekend.  Our weekend was pretty laid back and relaxed.  I didn't even bake anything!  That's shocking for me.  I am trying to gear up for the upcoming big game however and in doing so I found this recipe for Pork Shoulder that I hadn't published yet.  

I've been saving it for this week, just in case you are looking for some good game food. 

I have to tell you, I gobbled this up.  I'm a huge vinegar fan and this pork shoulder is marinated in vinegar overnight so it's infused with that wonderful flavor.  Serve it with or without your favorite barbecue sauce because it's so full of flavor that it isn't really necessary. 

Make sure to give yourself a day ahead of time for prepping since this does require an overnight soak in vinegar and water.  

I loved how the meat just fell apart, I didn't have to do much "pulling".  I also loved the vinegar flavor but if you would rather tone it down a bit you might want to do 50/50 water and vinegar. This pulled pork was the perfect flavor for a pulled pork sandwich in my opinion and the leftovers didn't last long in our house.  
 

Slow-Cooked Pulled Pork Shoulder



Ingredients
  • 3 lb pork shoulder
  • 4 cups water, warm (110 degree's F)
  • 8 cups white vinegar
  • 1/4 cup kosher salt
  • 1 large onion, cut into 8 wedges
  • 1 Tbsp cumin
  • 1 Tbsp dry mustard
  • 1 Tbsp chili powder
  • 12 cup brown sugar, packed
Cooking Directions
  1. In the ceramic bowl of your slow cooker, add the pork and the vinegar and water. Cover the pork completely. If these measurements don't cover your roast just keep adding water and vinegar in the 2 to 1 ratio until it is covered.
  2. Place the lid on the dish and put it in the refrigerator for 12 to 24 hours.
  3. Remove from the refrigerator and drain off enough liquid so that there is about 1/2 inch of meat uncovered.
  4. Mix the seasonings and brown sugar together in a bowl and then pour it over the exposed meat.
  5. Turn your slow cooker on high and cook for 8-10 hours.
  6. Remove from the slow cooker, shred and throw away any obvious fat.
  7. Serve with your favorite bbq sauce, or not.

No comments: