February 27, 2013

Baked Old-Fashioned Donuts


I know, I know.  Not exactly healthy right? Well my husband and I have one day a week that we have whatever we want and this recipe is an example of that. Besides, they're baked so they aren't nearly as bad as the fried kind. :)

My weakness is donuts, well I have a lot of weaknesses when it comes to sugar but lets just focus on the donuts for now shall we? For Christmas my husband bought me some of those nifty donut pans and I have to say, it was one of my favorite gifts.  I love cake donuts but will eventually work toward yeast donuts and will report back to you. Obviously.



This recipe has several different options but I went with good old fashioned powdered variety...


Plain


And I threw some chocolate chips in some for my daughter.


I have to say, these were right on.  Moist and caky but not crumbly.  Perfect amount of nutmeg (too much nutmeg is a bad thing in my world) and they baked up nice and fluffy!

Definitely a keeper!  I love these donuts.


Baked Old-Fashioned Donuts
Recipe from King Arthur Flour


Ingredients
  • 1/4 cup butter, at room temperature
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 3/4 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 2/3 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup milk
  • 3/4 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips (optional)

Cooking Directions

  1. preheat the oven to 425º.
  2. Lightly spray two donut pans with non-stick spray.
  3. In the bowl of your stand mixer add the butter, oil and sugars and mix until light and fluffy.
  4. Add the eggs and incorporate well.
  5. Add the vanilla.
  6. Add the baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, salt and vanilla and mix.
  7. Add the flour and the milk alternately until combined. If you are using the chocolate chips add them now.
  8. Fill the pans to the rim and bake for 10 minutes.
  9. Let cool for a few minutes in the pan before flipping them onto cooling racks.
  10. Serve warm or cool completely and store in an airtight container.
  11. **for two other flavor options check the King Arthur Flour link I've provided above**

No comments: