February 20, 2013

Ina Garten's Salmon Cakes



One day a week my husband and I have been trying to eat fish.  I should also mention that 1 day a week we have also designated as "eat whatever you feel like" day.  We start out trying to be healthy and then lose momentum by lunch time.  By dinner it's all over for us and we usually run to the grocery store and get whatever looks good to us. But five days out of the week we're pretty healthy and that is far better than we were in 2012.

Fish is right at the top of everyone's healthy eating list this year, and salmon is one of my favorites.  My husband told me when we got married that he didn't like fish, so, for years I didn't try to get him to eat any.  In fact, I only ate salmon if he was out of town.  I felt like I was smuggling my salmon into the house and I was very careful that there was no salmon smell in the house when he returned. Over the years he's gotten a little healthier and decided one day to give it a try.  I have to say, he was pleasantly surprised. Salmon has a strong fish flavor, so, when we do have it I try to make sure it has a yummy sauce or coating to help give him some additional flavors.

These little salmon cakes came into play recently when I was looking for a new recipe.  Ina Garten had a recipe that looked perfect to me.  I incorporated a little bit of my husband's grandmothers recipe (by adding potatoes) and the finished product was delicious! 

I'm so glad I don't have to hide my salmon anymore.  It's much easier to share it then hide it. :)

Ina Garten's Salmon Cakes
Modified slightly from Ina Garten


Ingredients
  • 1/2 pound fresh salmon
  • good olive oil
  • kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
  • 4 Tbsp unsalted butter
  • 3/4 cup small diced onion (i used yellow)
  • 1 1/2 cup small diced celery
  • 2 small potatoes (like the size of a golf ball)
  • 1 Tbsp dried parsley
  • 1 Tbsp capers
  • 1/4 tsp hot sauce (I used Franks)
  • 1/2 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
  • 1 1/2 tsp Old Bay Seasoning
  • 1 cup panko bread crumbs
  • 1/2 cup mayonnaise
  • 2 tsp Dijion mustard
  • 2 extra-large eggs, lightly beaten
Cooking Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 350.
  2. In a small oven proof dish lay the salmon skin side down. Brush with olive oil, add salt and paper and bake for 15-20 minutes until cooked through.
  3. Remove from the oven and let cool, then refrigerate until chilled.
  4. While the fish is cooking, in a large skillet add 2 Tbsp olive oil and 2 Tbsp butter. Add the diced celery, onion, potatoes, capers, parsley, hot sauce, worcestershire sauce, and Old Bay seasoning and cook until the vegetables are soft.
  5. Remove from the heat and let cool to room temperature.
  6. Take the chilled salmon and flake it into a bowl, discarding the skin. Mix in the bread crumbs, mayonnaise, mustard and egg.
  7. Mix well.
  8. Add in the cooked vegetables and seasonings and mix well.
  9. Chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
  10. In a large skillet add 2 Tbsp olive oil and 2 Tbsp butter.
  11. Take the salmon mixture and shape into 10 2 1/2 to 3 ounce patties. Fry for 3-4 minutes on each side until golden brown and remove to a plate.
  12. Keep the plate warm in a 250 degree oven until all the patties are cooked. Serve hot.

No comments: