February 25, 2013

Spicy Tofu Lettuce Wraps



I hope you all had a fantastic weekend and are ready to take on the week. We just have to make it through this Monday and it's all down hill from there.

This weekend was pretty uneventful around here.  Oh, my water heater went kaput so we had to replace it.  That was pretty eventful, especially when I realized we didn't have any hot water.  Good times. Yesterday was bright and sunny and beautiful so we played outside most of the day, that's pretty much it.

My husband and I have been trying to learn to like tofu.  I gotta tell you that it's been hard but we keep trying. These spicy tofu lettuce wraps were pretty darn good.  I think that might be the key to tofu, soak it simmer it or cover it up with ton's of other flavors. These lettuce wraps did actually make me feel like I was eating a yummy Asian wrap that I love so much.  They were very spicy though so unless your kids like spice they probably wouldn't like this one.

I'm learning a lot about tofu and it's full of protein so it really does make a nice meat replacement. I know some people who might not want to give up their meat and if you're one of those people, you can add chicken and replace the tofu completely or just do half and half.

I will make this again, I've officially added to my rotation.

Spicy Tofu Lettuce Wraps
Recipe from Tasty Kitchen


Ingredients
  • 1 block (15 oz) Firm Tofu, cut into small cubes
  • 2 tsp light soy sauce
  • 1 cup bell pepper, cut in small dice
  • 1 cup onion, red if you have it cut in small dice
  • 2 tsp garlic, minced
  • 1 Tbsp ginger, grated
  • 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
  • 1/2 tsp hot sauce (sriracha if you have it)
  • 3 Tbsp Mirin or I used Rice Vinegar
  • 2 Tbsp hoisin sauce
  • 2 tsp spicy brown mustard
  • 12 whole romaine lettuce, I used bib lettuce.
Cooking Directions
  1. Spray a large skillet with non-stick spray.
  2. Heat the skillet over medium heat and add the tofu cubes. Cook for about 5-10 minutes stirring occasionally to brown the tofu.
  3. When the tofu is browned, add the soy sauce and coat the tofu. Cook for 5 more minutes.
  4. Remove the tofu to a bowl. Using the same skillet add the onion, bell pepper, garlic, ginger, red pepper flakes and hot sauce. Cook for 10 minutes until the onion is softened.
  5. Add the Mirin (or vinegar) and cook for 3-5 more minutes.
  6. Add the hoisin and mustard and mix well. Add the tofu back in and coat well with the sauce.
  7. Serve in a whole lettuce leafs.

No comments: