February 4, 2013

Chewy Granola Bars



Boy I'm getting a late start today.....sorry!

So I have this granola bar tagged as "healthy".  Here's what makes it healthy, it's got whole grains (oats) and no preservatives or corn syrup.  Is it diet food? Not really.  It does have sugar and of course chocolate but if your kids are eating store bought granola bars anyway then this is a MUCH butter alternative.

I let my daughter and her friend help me out by pressing the mini chocolate chips into the top of the granola.  I love this age where they are so anxious to help and so proud of themselves when they see how it turns out.  Very gratifying.

I loved the taste and texture of these granola bars.  They are soft and sort of fell apart a little bit but I think that's because I used rolled oats (I chopped them up a bit) because I didn't have any quick oats.  I will be trying this one again with quick oats to see if they hold together a little better.  Honestly, if my daughter could have just eaten them with a spoon she would have been just as happy.  Big hit with the kids!  The honey flavor is a nice background and whatever you do don't leave out the rice cereal because it adds the perfect crunch!  Love these!

Chewy Granola Bars
Recipe from Mel's Kitchen Cafe


Ingredients
  • 2 cups quick oats
  • 1 cup rice cereal
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 4 Tbsp butter
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
Cooking Directions
  1. In a medium sized bowl, mix the oats and the rice cereal together.
  2. Spray a 9x12 inch pan with non-stick spray.
  3. Use a small sauce pan to melt the butter, brown sugar and honey together. Simmer for 2 minutes at a low boil.
  4. Remove from the heat and add the vanilla extract, mix well.
  5. Pour the hot liquid into the bowl with the oats and cereal and mix well.
  6. Use a spatula to press the mix into the prepared dish. Press down firmly.
  7. Top with the mini chocolate chips and press into the mixture (or you don't have to).
  8. Cut into squares. Store at room temperature in a sealed container for 2-3 days.

No comments: