For Valentine's Day I decided to make something very simple and yet unmistakably Valentine-y. I was very pleased with how well these turned out. To make them even easier you could use a canned pie filling. Not only are these totally delicious but they are super simple.
For Valentine's Day you want to be with your loved one, NOT stuck in the kitchen!
I used a heart shaped cookie cutter but if you don't have one you can use any non-holiday shape or even a biscuit cutter.
They bake up all golden and crispy on the outside. This heart looks like it's bleeding a little, don't worry that is no reflection on any actual relationship status. :)
I drizzled mine with chocolate but you could also make a quick glaze of confectioner's sugar and milk and do it that way.
Let cool completely before eating. Less oozing that way. Happy Valentine's Day everyone!
Fruit-Filled Heart Puffs
- 1 box puff pastry, unthawed for 40 minutes.
- 1 cup fruit - fresh, frozen, or canned - petite diced
- 1 bar good chocolate
- sugar, for sprinkling (turbinado works best)
- 1 large egg, for egg wash (optional)
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut the thawed puff pastry with a heart shaped cookie cutter. Make sure to cut an even number so you have one top and one bottom.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Lay and even number of cut out puff pastry shapes on the parchment paper.
- place small scoop of fruit in the middle of the dough shape, leaving space around the edges.
- Cut some small chocolate shavings or pieces and place on top of the fruit.
- Cover the fruit with the additional puff pastry cut outs and crimp the edges with a fork.
- Combine the egg with 1 Tbsp of water and mix well. Brush some of the egg wash over the tops of each pastry puff and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for about 15-17 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let cool for about 5 minutes before removing to a cooling rack.
- While the pastries are cooling, use a double boiler to melt the remaining chocolate. Drizzle the tops of each pastry with the melted chocolate and let cool completely.