May 1, 2013

Oven Dried Strawberries



I was on the internet searching for strawberry recipes when I stumbled upon this one.  Well it's not really a recipe, but the person who wrote the post said these were just like candy and better than Twizzlers. Seemed like it was worth a try to me, all you need are strawberries and I just happened to have some. 


You cut the strawberries in half or quarters depending on how big they are, then lay them cut side up on a cookie sheet.  Cut side up is important because otherwise the liquid drains onto the bottom of the pan and they don't dry well. I should have used parchment paper so if you're making these you should do that.


Turn your oven to 210º and cook for 3 hours.  You can flip once during cooking if you want, I didn't and I'm not sure if it would have made a difference or not. Mine dried well without flipping.

Here are some things I noticed when I made them.

  • They become more tart after drying so they are not as sweet as a fresh strawberry.  I don't know if it would help to add sugar or maybe a soak in sugar water.  My daughter didn't like them at all and she's a HUGE strawberry lover. 
  • Obviously they shrink up by more than half their original size.  They would be great for adding into cereals or snacking on while hiking or something like that. 
  • They taste nothing like Twizzlers, the texture isn't like Twizzlers either and I would not compare the two at all.  These are however, a lot healthier than a Twizzler. 

I'm not sure I'll be making them again anytime soon simply because my daughter wouldn't eat them and because you need a lot of strawberries to make a decent snack.  I do enjoy the taste and texture and might try them again later to see if my daughter's tastes change.  I'm glad I tried it out, now I know.

Found at PinCookie.com

No comments: