March 10, 2014

30-Minute Mongolian Beef


Back on my Asian kick, I can't seem to get enough.  I saw this on Pinterest and decided to give it a try when a friend came over for dinner.  We both love to try new recipes and luckily she's also on an Asian kick.

We both loved this recipe.  The flavors meld so nicely and the sauce that is created on the beef is sweet,  with a little garlic and ginger flavors.  The onion adds a nice little crunch and onion flavor and the rice soaked up all that yummy sauce.  I think I'll be adding this to my dinner rotation.

It's hard to believe it only took 30 minutes but it went relatively quickly.  I recommend having the beef sliced and waiting.  I sliced mine while the sauce was cooking.  My friend also cut up a few snow peas I had in my refrigerator to add a little more crunch, I think some water chestnuts would also be fantastic.  Apparently this recipe is a knock off of a PF Chang recipe.  I've personally never had this at PF Chang's but it certainly is delicious!


30-Minute Mongolian Beef
Recipe from  Taste


Ingredients
  • Vegetable oil
  • 1/2 tsp fresh ginger, grated
  • 1 Tbsp fresh garlic, minced
  • 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 2/3 cup dark brown sugar
  • 1 (1 pound) flank steak
  • 1/4 cup corn starch
  • 3 scallions, cut into 1 inch pieces
Directions
  1. Add about 2 tsp of vegetable oil to a small saucepan and add the ginger and garlic.  Cook over medium low heat until golden. 
  2. Add the water and soy sauce.  Add the brown sugar and mix in and then turn the heat up to medium and let boil for about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside. 
  3. Slice the flank steak into 1/4 inch strips against the grain.  Sprinkle the corn starch over the meat and stir to coat evenly.  Lift up the piece and shake off any excess.  Let sit for about 10 minutes. 
  4. In a large skillet or wok, heat to medium high and add 1/2 cup of vegetable oil.  Add the meat in batches and cook only until brown on each side and NOT cooked through.  Remove to a paper towel lined plate until all the meat is cooked.  Discard any remaining oil. 
  5. Add the soy sauce mixture to the hot pan, it should come up to a boil almost immediately. Add the meat back in with the sauce and let cook for about 2 minutes stirring consistently. Stir in the sliced scallions and serve over rice or noodles. 

No comments: