March 7, 2014

Alfresco Bean Salad


If there is one thing that is almost always in the refrigerator lately, this is it.  The great thing about it is that you can change it up to fit your mood or personal preference and the longer it stays in the refrigerator the better it tastes.

I had another very similar recipe that I made quite a few years ago that I referred back to in order to get this  recipe in line with my tastes.  Feel free to mix the veggies up to your liking and if you top it with cilantro right before serving, well it's just that much better.

I did a month of vegan eating in February and I practically lived on this recipe.  It's easy to throw together and have in the refrigerator when the snacking urge hits you.  I love anything with that vinegar tang to it and the crunch of the onion is perfect.  Not to mention the fiber and vitamins you get, I noticed that I felt less bloated and more energetic.  I attribute a lot of that to this salad, after all I did eat it at least once a day.

If you're feeling like you need a little healthy snack to improve your life, or just a quick side at dinner then you will love this salad. Oh, and it is bound to warm up sooner or later so this recipe is great for outside parties.

Alfresco Bean Salad
Recipe modified slightly from Taste of Home


Ingredients
  • 1 can (16 oz) red beans (kidney), rinsed and drained
  • 1 can (15 1/4 oz) whole kernel corn, rinsed and drained
  • 1 can (15 oz) garbanzo beans (chickpeas), rinsed and drained
  • 1 can (15 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 small container cherry tomatoes, quartered and seeded
  • 1 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
  • 1/2 large red onion, diced
Vinaigrette
Modified from here
  • 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil
  • 2 Tbsp sugar
  • 2 Tbsp Franks Red Hot
  • 1/2 tsp chili powder
  • Salt and Pepper to taste

Directions
  1. Mix all the ingredients in a large bowl.
  2. Top with the vinaigrette. Stir to incorporate thoroughly.
  3. Refrigerate for a couple of hours before serving for best taste. 

No comments: