February 22, 2012

Gingerbread Ice Cream



I'm not sure if you noticed the ice cream kick I've been on lately.  I have no idea why other than it seems like there are an endless number of recipes out there and I feel like I have to put in an effort to keep up.  Having said that, this recipe seemed time sensitive since when I think of gingerbread I think of the holidays.  I also think of cold weather.  I also just like gingerbread.

I knew I would love this recipe when I read it on "Tracey's Culinary Adventures".  I thought it was just different enough to make an interesting blog post and just common enough to appeal to people.  I'm really happy with how this recipe turned out.  So rich and creamy.  So rich in fact that a little goes a long way but I consider it diet food for that reason.  OK, maybe that's a stretch.



I figured I'd better post this before winter turns into spring - which has already happened here it seems.  Feels like we just skipped winter this year.   I might have to take a drive to the mountains soon just so my little girl can play in the snow.  Yep, I think that's just what we'll have to do!

Gingerbread Ice Cream
Found at Tracey's Culinary Adventures


  • 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
  • 1 1/2 cups whole milk (I used 1%)
  • One 3-4 inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
  • 6 large egg yolks
  • 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup molasses
  • 2 teaspoons ground ginger
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract


Use a medium sauce pan to combine the cream, milk and fresh ginger.  Bring to a boil over medium high heat and then turn the heat off and set aside for about 30 minutes to an hour.  This will allow the ginger to infuse with the milk mixture.  Strain the mixture and discard the ginger.  Bring the milk mixture back to a simmer. 

In a heatproof bowl, whisk the egg yolks, brown sugar, molasses, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and salt. Whisking constantly pour some of the simmering milk mixture in with the egg yolk mixture to temper the eggs.  Once the eggs have been heated slowly with the milk mixture add the egg mixture back into the saucepan and whisk until smooth and thickens enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon.  Strain the mixture into a heatproof bowl and add the vanilla. 

Let the mixture cool to room temperature in a bowl with a lid or plastic wrap and then refrigerate overnight or thoroughly chilled. 

Freeze your ice cream in your ice cream maker following the manufacturer's instructions.  Transfer to an airtight container and freeze until firm or at least 1 hour. 


No comments: