July 11, 2012

Caprese Salad


Sorry for the delay in posts this week, I just got back from a wedding in Massachusetts and we hit the beach while we were there too. It was a fun quick getaway but I'm glad to be home.

This simple salad is always a winner whether it be a side at dinner time or for a party you've been invited to.  Three ingredients and you're done.  I grew the tomato and basil you see here so this is a great way to use up some of your garden harvests.  I used Roma tomatoes but Heirloom would be yummy here also.  This is a traditional Italian salad because of the colors, Green, White and Red are Italy's flag colors.

I've seen people add salt, pepper, garlic powder, Balsamic Vinegar or Olive Oil to the top of this to finish it off.  Simple and delicious.  Great for a summer barbecue.


This can be made as large or small as you need it to be so I'm not giving exact measurements.

6-12 Roma tomatoes, sliced
Fresh Mozzarella, sliced
1/4 cup basil, julienned

Layer the cheese and the tomato and top with the julienned basil.  you can also leave the basil whole but I would use smaller baby leaves if you choose to leave them whole.  Drizzle with Olive Oil or Balsamic vinegar if you desire.


No comments: