July 20, 2012

Tomato Jam


When you make this think "gourmet ketchup" only way better.  It's sweet like a jam but the tomato flavor is concentrated and totally yummy.  I'm so glad I made this for two reasons.  I had a bunch of Roma tomatoes to use and I'm a huge condiment fan.  I usually put some sort of condiment on everything I eat.  I know, it's a problem.  Here's the other problem, I might never want to eat regular ketchup again after making this.  Seriously.  It's that good.



Dice up 1 1/2 pounds of tomatoes.  You can leave the skins on, just core them.



Add all of the ingredients into a medium saucepan.


The aftermath of my prep work.


Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer for about an hour or so.


After about an hour, it's almost done.


The finished product.  I am super excited about having this in my refrigerator.  I can't wait to try this on some different items like biscuits, hot dogs, burgers and even on sandwiches.  Let me know if you try it and what you think!


Tomato Jam
Recipe from The New York Times

1 1/2 pounds of ripe tomatoes.  I used Roma, cored and coarsely chopped.
1 cup sugar
2 Tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
1 Tbsp grated or minced ginger
1 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp salt
1 jalapeño or other pepper, seeded, stemmed and minced. You could also use red pepper flakes or cayenne to taste.  I used a jalapeño (the jarred kind).

Mix all the ingredients in a heavy bottomed sauce pan and cook over medium heat to a boil.  Stir consistently.

Turn the heat down to simmer and cook for about another 1 hour and 15 minutes or until the sauce is thick like a jam. Stir occasionally.  Mine was done after about an hour.

Makes about a pint, keep refrigerated and it will last at least a week.

No comments: