July 5, 2012

Italian Lemon Drop Cookies


How's the heat in your neck of the woods? It's been oppressive here. I drove by a bank sign thermometer two days ago and it read 109.  We've been staying inside a lot for that reason.  Not that turning on the oven to bake cookies is a good idea either but at least the lemon flavor these offer is refreshing. Great at a BBQ.

I liked the texture a lot.  I wouldn't say chewy but very soft and dense.  Lemon flavor is one of my favorites so I'm glad I've got this one under my belt. The other nice thing about making these is that it's pretty much one bowl.  Fewer dishes mean less sweating. OK, that might be a stretch but we need to conserve our energy during these summer months don't we?

I think you'll enjoy these as much as I did.  Thank you Pinterest for another great find!


Italian Lemon Drop Cookies
From Taste of Home

Cookies

  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1 Tbsp baking powder
  • 1/4 cup vegetable shortening
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1 large egg
  • 2 tsp lemon extract


Frosting

  • 1/3 cup shortening
  • 2 cups powdered sugar
  • 1/4 cup warm milk
  • 1 tsp lemon extract


Heat the oven to 375 degrees and line cookie sheets with parchment paper or spray with cooking spray.

In a large bowl, mix the flour, sugar, baking powder together.  Cut in the shortening, then add the milk, egg and lemon extract.  Mix until combined.

Roll the dough into balls about 1 inch in size.  Flour your hands to keep the dough from sticking.

Bake for 10-12 minutes or until lightly golden brown.  Move to a cooling rack to let cool before frosting.

For the frosting: Mix the shortening and powdered sugar with a pastry cutter.  Add in the warm milk a little at a time.  Make sure the milk isn't too warm, just not ice cold.  Add the lemon extract and combine so there are no lumps.

When the cookies are cool, frost each one.  I added a little lemon zest into the frosting as well just to pump up the lemon flavor.



No comments: