July 18, 2012

Summer Vegetable Tian




It seems like every time I go grocery shopping I buy yellow squash and zucchini.  We usually just chop it up and sauté them in some oil and garlic and we love it that way.  If we've got the grill fired up I like to marinate them in Italian dressing and then grill them but I'm always looking for new and interesting ways for us to eat this combination.  I was thrilled to find this recipe.

The original recipe calls for sliced potatoes as well but I didn't have any of those on hand so I went with what I have.  I loved it, I changed it up a bit when I reheated the leftovers and topped it with some Feta cheese as well and really enjoyed the saltiness that it added.

I didn't cook mine as long as the original recipe called for since I didn't add the potatoes.  This is a great recipe and I'll be making it again before summer is over.

You start by dicing the garlic and onion and putting it in a pan with some oil until they soften.  Pour that mixture into an 8x8 in dish.

Slice the yellow squash, zucchini and tomato all about the same width.  I used Roma tomatoes since they were about the right size and I didn't want this too watery.  Arrange the veggies as shown above, season with salt, pepper and thyme and bake.



After baking for about 20 minutes, pull out and top with mozzarella cheese.  Bake until the mozzarella is melted.  I used cubes but shredded would work well.


I can't wait for you to try it especially if you're trying to stay in swimsuit shape this summer.  I think a nice variation would be to pour your favorite spaghetti sauce over the top during the first bake cycle and then top with cheese at the end.  I'm gonna try that next time.


Summer Vegetable Tian
Modified slightly from Budget Bytes

2 small summer squash
2 small zucchini
1 medium onion, chopped
2 bulbs garlic, minced
Olive Oil
Salt, Pepper, Thyme
Mozzarella, shredded

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and grease a 8x8 inch pan.

Dice the onion and garlic and cook in a pan over medium heat with oil until softened.

Slice the vegetables and set aside.  When the onion and garlic are cooked, pour them into the bottom of the 8x8 inch dish.  Arrange the veggies on top of the onion mixture.  Sprinkle generously with salt, pepper and thyme.  cover and bake for about 20 minutes.  Take out of the oven and sprinkle with mozzarella cheese, do not cover and bake again until the cheese has melted and browned slightly.

Let cool slightly before serving.  Enjoy!

No comments: