It's hot cocoa time right? It's chilly out there even down here in the south. I had to wear a long sleeve t-shirt yesterday. :)
Some things I should just keep to myself right?
Anyhoo, time to break out the tea and hot cocoa and if you make your own you can feel good about knowing what is in it and also it makes a TON! Way more than you're going to get in those little packets at the store.
This recipe has been husband and child approved, in case you're wondering. Very chocolaty but not that dark rich chocolate, more of a milk chocolate type. I just used the regular baking cocoa and not the Dutch process so that probably has something to do with it. But I'm a milk chocolate hot cocoa kind of girl. Very similar to the store bought kind. The recipe says this is "The Best", I don't know about that since I've only tried a couple of homemade versions but this one is pretty darn good!
Process the mixture in a food processor so it will blend well with the hot milk.
Topping this cocoa with mini marshmallows or whipped cream is a great idea. You should totally do that.
Hot Chocolate Mix
Recipe from Mel's Kitchen Cafe
- 3 cups non fat dry milk powder
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 cups cocoa powder, dutch process or natural
- 1 1/2 cups white chocolate chips or white chocolate
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Whisk together all of the ingredients. If you are using a white chocolate bar just chop it slightly first.
- Working in batches, blend all of the ingredients in a food processor until you have a fine powder.
- Store in an air-tight container for up to 3 months.
- To make hot chocolate: 1 cup of hot milk and 1/3 cup of hot chocolate mix.