November 28, 2012

The Easiest Apple Tart


I'm always looking for new ways to eat pie, it's one of my favorite desserts.  Any fruit pie will do, I'm not picky.

On that note, when I saw that this recipe was basically an apple pie on a puff pastry I was all over it.  How easy is this?!

I enjoyed how easy it was to prepare and I also learned a couple of things that might help make yours a lot easier!


Let one sheet of puff pastry sit on your counter for about 20 minutes before you try to open it up.


Slice down the middle once you've opened it.


Cut the apples in thin slices.  Note that the first time I made this I left the skin on as instructed but now I would recommend you remove the skins.


Mix the apples with the cinnamon mixture until well coated.


This was far to many apples to pile up on this puff pastry...don't do what I did above.  Use fewer apples.  See notes below.


Once baked and cooled, top with powdered sugar. Looks great and tastes great too.


**I've made this recipe twice and I have a few adjustments that I think improve the original recipe.
First, peel the apples. I found that with the skin on it made it more difficult to bite into the tart.

Second, I only used 3 small apples and I had plenty.  I think that if you make ONE line of apples down the middle of the puff pastry it will make for an easier bite, as well as less mess.  Oh, one more thing.  I would definitely use a jelly roll pan because the liquid from the apples will spill off a cookie sheet and make loads of smoke in your kitchen.....I cannot reveal how I know this.

Third, I had trouble getting the tarts off the tin foil that I had lined my jelly roll sheet with.  You might want to try parchment paper or even try baking the tart on a cookie cooling rack so the juice drips down and doesn't form a sticky mess on the bottom of the tart.**

The pictures at the link below show a much prettier picture than mine.  I'll add more when I make this a third time. :)


The Easiest Apple Tart
Recipe from Jennifer Chong


Ingredients
  • 1 sheet puff pastry, cut in half
  • 4 cored apples, skin on (I have amended this to 3 apples, skin off)
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1 tsp cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • lemon juice
  • powdered sugar
Cooking Directions
  1. Take the puff pastry out of the freezer and let it sit for 25 minutes.
  2. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
  3. Thinly slice the apples.
  4. Mix the apples, lemon juice, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt together and let sit for a minute.
  5. Cut the puff pastry in half and put on a non-stick or parchment lined jelly roll pan. Sides on the pan are definitely recommended to avoid a mess in your oven. 
  6. Arrange the apples in a row on the puff pastry, stacking the apples as you go.
  7. Bake for 20 minutes or until the puff pastry is golden brown.
  8. Remove from the pan and transfer to a serving dish. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve.

No comments: