July 12, 2013

Jalapeno Cheese Dip


Have any of you ever heard of pimento dip? If you're from the South you have, but I'm not from the South and when I first heard about it I was like, huh? You make a dip out of pimento's? So some friends of mine bought some at the grocery store and I had some.  It was alright but I never went out of my way to have it again. It's usually a nice orange color, which also had me wondering.

Anyway, many years have gone by without me ever having the desire to have it again until my neighbor made some for the 4th of July.  Only she made hers with some jalapenos that I grew in my garden. But this time the taste was much different, much more memorable than my previous experience.  So I decided to make some of my own, but without pimento's. I just didn't have any on hand.


 I really loved this recipe. If you're not really into jalapenos you should know that without the seeds and membrane it's not spicy at all.  It was creamy, sharp and very flavorful.

If you want to make this authentic Southern Pimento Cheese Dip just add 1 - 4 oz jar of pimento's and use orange cheese.

Jalapeno Cheese Dip
Modified recipe from allrecipes


Ingredients
  • 2 cups extra sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
  • 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
  • 1/2 cup mayonnaise
  • 1/4 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/4 tsp onion powder
  • 1/4 tsp cayenne powder (optional)
  • salt and pepper to taste
Directions
  1. Mix the cream cheese and mayonnaise until creamy. 
  2. Add the remaining ingredients and mix until smooth.  
  3. Refrigerate so the flavors can distribute.  Serve at room temperature. 

No comments: