July 26, 2013

Refrigerator Dill Pickles


In an attempt to find ways to use all the cucumbers from my garden, I've been pickling. I've already shown you the bread and butter recipe I found, which I LOVE.  These are a dill refrigerator variety.  That means they aren't put through the normal canning process and must stay in the refrigerator for preservation.  The plus side is that they are done relatively quickly (10 days), the minus side is that we're in a rush to eat them before they need to be tossed.

I love all pickles, in fact I love (almost) all things pickled.  I know, I'm a little weird like that.

These pickles have a hint of sweetness, not overpoweringly but you can definitely taste it. I actually chose not to make mine spicy as the original recipe calls for because I knew I'd be giving them to my daughter.  I thought they were delicious.  A very nice change from the kind you buy from the store but still definitely dill.  You also get a good amount of garlic taste, if your crowd isn't all eating these you might want to sneak a mint. :)

I hope you'll give them a try.  It's a great tasty way to use up some garden cucumbers.

Refrigerator Dill Pickles
Recipe from allrecipes



Ingredients
  • 12 - 3 to 4 inch pickling cucumbers
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 3/4 cup white vinegar
  • 1 1/2 cups chopped fresh dill weed
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 8 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp coarse salt
  • 1 Tbsp pickling spice
  • 1 1/2 tsp dill seed
  • 4 sprigs fresh dill sprigs
*Add 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes to make these spicy

Directions
  1. In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients and stir together.  I cut my cucumbers in quarters length wise but the original recipe doesn't say to do so. Let sit for 2 hours until the sugar and salt have dissolved. 
  2. Use 3 - 1 1/2 pint wide mouth jars.  Place 4 whole (or cut up) cucumbers in each jar. Pour the liquid over the cucumbers to cover them.  Add 1 sprig of fresh dill to each jar. Seal each jar and let sit for 10 days before eating. Use within 1 month. 

No comments: