July 22, 2013

Soft Malted Milk Chocolate Chip Cookies



I can't believe it's Monday again already.  Wasn't it Monday last week? Well honestly I'm super excited to get this week over with because that means I get to head off to Montana sooner.  I can't wait!  Some nice refreshing mountain air is exactly what I need. A little 0% humidity will be a welcome change. 

Before we start packing, I had time to make an awesome new chocolate chip recipe.  I wanted something just slightly different then the regular recipes I use and I think it was a hit.  Malted Milk Powder gives the cookies a slightly different flavor while the cornstarch makes them super chewy.  Great combination. 


 Lightly golden around the edges and chewy inside.


As an extra little somn' somn' I added some chocolate chips to the tops of the dough balls right before baking.  That makes those cute little chips stand out much better and they look super fancy.  I'm all about fancy ya know. 


The cookies are super soft and chewy, a lot of chocolate flavor with a little tiny malted milk flavor in the background.  My daughter ate them up and kept asking for more.  She's not shy about telling me if she detects a flavor she doesn't like so that's a good sign for this little cookie.  This is also the first cookie recipe that I've used cornstarch so I'm waiting to see if they stay softer longer, but honestly they are so good that I doubt I'll have any left in a couple of days anyway.

Soft Malted Milk Chocolate Chip Cookies

Recipe from Cookies and Cups

Ingredients
  • 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup malted milk powder
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 1/4 tsp kosher salt
  • 2 tsp cornstarch
  • 1 cup butter, melted
  • 1 1/2 cups light brown sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
  • 2 cups chocolate chips, plus more for pressing into the tops
Directions
  1. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, malted powder, baking powder, salt and cornstarch. Whisk together. 
  2. In a small saucepan melt the butter over medium low heat. 
  3. Use the bowl of your stand mixer and add the brown sugar and melted butter. Mix well. 
  4. Add the eggs and vanilla and mix well. 
  5. Add the chocolate chips and mix by hand to incorporate. 
  6. Refrigerate for 2 hours to up to 3 days. 
  7. Preheat the oven to 350º
  8. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. 
  9. Make a ball with 2 Tbsp of dough and place on the cookie sheet about 3 inches apart. 
  10. Press additional chocolate chips into the top, if desired. 
  11. Bake for 11-12 minutes until the edges are golden but the middle looks undercooked. 
  12. Allow to cool on the cookie sheet for 3 minutes before moving to a cooling rack. 

No comments: