October 22, 2013

Apple Danish


I finally used up all the apples my daughter and I picked several weekends ago.  I'm kinda sad about it actually.  This gives me permission to go pick more right? 

You know those little danish's that you see at the grocery store bakery section? I wanted to make that.  Turns out that this one is even better then the one's you buy at the store.  I know it's shocking but it's true.  The filling is so delicious, it's very much like eating an apple pie only it's more portable and it has a lovely glaze over the top.  The crust is tender and flaky and the leftovers were delish.  It doesn't get dry or anything if stored in a zip lock bag in the refrigerator (at least that's how I stored mine). 


Here's something I learned the hard way.  Make this dough and toll it out on a rimmed cookie sheet (jelly roll pan).  I did mine on the counter first but had trouble getting it moved over to the cookie sheet. I wasn't smart enough to cook it on a jelly roll pan, initially.  I learned the hard way. 


Make the apple mixture and pour into the middle.


Spread it out to the edges.


Top with the second crust.  Obviously you'll have to make this top crust on the counter.  I suggest making it on top of some waxed paper or else making sure it's not sticking to the counter top as you're rolling it out.  I was able to make it work but I got some tears and it didn't end up being a perfect rectangle.


Once baked, I was thrilled with how well it cut into squares.  Not messy at all and the glaze really takes it up a notch.


One heck of a dessert to end my apple making spree to use up all my Jonagold Apples.  By the way, I would highly recommend this type of apple if you can find it.  I loved baking with it!

Apple Danish
Recipe from TasteofHome

Pastry and Assembly

Ingredients
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 cup shortening
  • 1 large egg yolk
  • 1/2 cup milk
Cooking Directions
  1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, salt and shortening. Use two forks or a pastry cutter to cut in the shortening until it resembles coarse wet sand.
  2. Add the egg yolk and milk and combine just until a dough forms. Do not overwork the dough.
  3. Cut the dough in half.
  4. On a lightly floured surface (or on the jelly roll pan you are going to use), Roll one half of the dough into a 15x10 inch rectangle.  Or better yet, just use a 15x10 inch pan and spread the dough onto it.  Make sure to spray the pan first for easy removal. 
  5. Spread the fruit mixture over the top of the dough and spread out evenly. 
  6. Lightly flour your work surface and form the remaining dough into a 15x10 inch rectangle, make sure to move the dough frequently so it'll be easier to lift it off the surface and place on top of the apple filling. 
  7. Bake for 40 minutes at 375º. 
  8. Let cool before topping with the glaze. 
Filling

Ingredients
  • 6 cups apples - peeled, cored and sliced
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 1/4 cup butter, melted
  • 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
Cooking Directions
  1. In a medium bowl, combine all of the ingredients and mix well so that all the apples are coated.
Glaze

Ingredients
  • 1 cup confectioners sugar
  • 2 Tbsp milk
Cooking Directions
  1. Use a small bowl and a fork to combine the ingredients so there are no lumps.

No comments: