October 11, 2013

Crockpot Ham and Bean Soup


With the ever so slight chill we've had in the morning air I've been thinking about fall foods.  One of my all time favorites is this Ham and Bean Soup.  I've never actually made it myself until now, I just remember my mom making it for my sister and I when we were growing up.

As you know, I grew up in Montana and let me tell you something, it is C.O.L.D. there.  I remember my mom calling us in from outside and us sitting down to a steaming hot bowl of this soup.  For some reason I have a memory of me blowing on the beans before I took a bit and the skin would peel right off the bean.  When I made this soup I didn't notice that happening, I wonder if it was just a certain type of bean or the way she cooked it.  I have no idea, but I loved blowing on the beans and watching the skins peel off.

I still to this day add vinegar to my bean soup, just as I did when I was little.  Something about that taste with the beans is so perfect.  Of course my husband and daughter thought I'd lost my mind, but that's OK.  I just take apple cider vinegar and add a cap full to my soup before I eat it.  It's yummy, you should try it.

Leftovers are even better, the "broth" turns into more of a thick sauce as it sits in the refrigerator which makes it even tastier.  I hope you try this one!

Ham and Bean Soup
Recipe from Food.com


Ingredients
  • 1 pound Dried beans (I used Pinto but you can use whatever you want)
  • 3 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
  • 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
  • 1 Tbsp dried parsley
  • 1 lb smoked ham, or ham hock
  • 6 cups water or broth
Cooking Directions
  1. Option 1: Pick through and rinse the beans, then soak overnight in a large bowl with water about 1 inch above the beans.
  2. Option 2: Pick through and rinse the beans, add to a large pot and cover with water about 2 inches above the beans. Bring to a boil for 3 minutes. Remove from the heat, cover and let sit (do not remove the lid) for 1 hour.
  3. Rinse the beans and place them in a crock pot. Add the garlic, onion, salt, pepper, parsley and ham. If using ham instead of ham hock, dice it into large bite sized pieces.
  4. Fill the crock pot with the water or broth and set on low for 8 hours.

No comments: