October 18, 2013

Buttermilk Drop Biscuits


Does anyone have any big plans for the weekend?  I hope someone has something more exciting planned then I do.  We're going to do the soccer game thing, then veg the rest of the weekend. No matter what your plans are you have to eat breakfast right?

Am I the only one who can't make good biscuits when you have to roll them out and cut them? They never seem to get tall and fluffy for me.  I don't get it.  I had great success with these drop biscuits however so these will become my go to biscuit until I figure out the other kind.

Light and flaky texture, excellent buttermilk biscuit flavor.  They were really easy to put together.  I used my hands to put the dough into a ball and then just pulled off pieces and put them on the baking sheet.  Super simple.  The outside was a beautiful crispy golden brown and the inside was moist and flaky.  Perfect!


Buttermilk Drop Biscuits
Recipe from Epicurious


Ingredients
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 Tbsp sugar
  • 4 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, very cold cut into small pieces
  • 1 cup buttermilk (cold)
Cooking Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 425º
  2. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
  3. In a large bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda.
  4. Use a pastry cutter or two forks to cut in the very cold butter until the mixture resembles a wet sand.
  5. Incorporate the buttermilk while stirring the flour, only stir until a dough forms.
  6. Use your hands to gather the dough into a ball, work quickly so the dough stays cold.
  7. You can use a measuring cup or your hands to pull off pieces of dough and place on the prepared cookie sheet.
  8. Bake for 15 minutes or until the tops are golden brown.

No comments: