October 4, 2013

Cinnamon Honey Slow Cooker Applesauce


As you know, our apple picking from last weekend left us with a lot of apples to use up.  I'm not complaining, I'd go again tomorrow if I could.  But I am on the lookout for some good apple recipes, if you've got some please feel free to send them my way.

My daughter practically lives on applesauce so I decided that was a good way for me to use up some apples. I didn't make a ton of it just in case she didn't like it, but luckily she did.  The consistency of this applesauce is different from the kind you buy at the store.  It's creamier.  I'm not sure if that's because of the type of apple I used or the way I cooked it but it's not a bad thing at all.  I didn't use any apple cider in my applesauce so if it's too thick for you just add some cider or even water.  We really liked the texture so it's perfect for us.

The taste is phenomenal, very smooth and sweet with just a hint of cinnamon in the background. The honey just takes the edge off the tartness in the apple but you can't really taste the honey very much. The nice thing about this applesauce is it works great on a english muffin or toast because of how thick it is. Almost a combination of applesauce and apple-butter without all those spices and sweetness.

Pure apple goodness with none of the sugar!



Cinnamon Honey Slow Cooker Applesauce
From Alissamay's kitchen


Ingredients
  • 7-8 medium apples (I used Jonagold)
  • 1-2 Tbsp honey, or more depending on how sweet you want it
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
Cooking Directions
  1. Peel, core and dice the apples and place them in the slow cooker.
  2. Cook on low for 2 hours or until the apples are very soft.
  3. Add the cinnamon and honey and taste until your desired flavor is reached. The apples should be soft enough by now that they can be smoothed out using just a spoon.  Stir until completely smooth. 
  4. Let cool and store in an airtight jar for about a week in the refrigerator.

No comments: