December 12, 2013

I met The Pioneer Woman, Ree Drummond!



Sorry for my lack of posting yesterday, but I was getting ready for this. 

Meeting Ree Drummond has been on the top of my list….well for years really, but mostly for the last month or so.  As soon as I found out she would be coming to Charlotte to sign copies of her new book, I knew I'd be going. 

Let me set the scene for you: 

I arrived at the bookstore around 4 pm (for a 6pm signing), bought the book, got my number (number 200) and waited to be called into my line spot at 5pm.  All of us women stood around chatting until Ree strolled into the bookstore at 6pm sharp.  Can I just say that my shock wasn't as much seeing Ree as seeing that she was completely ALONE!  Ree, if you need a personal assistant I'm here for you!! I thought she'd at least have an agent, publisher, friend, someone with her!  

She walked up the LONG line of people and stopped in front of my little section of the line and said, "I guess I'll just follow the line until I find my seat."  She waved and was so kind, big smiles; it was magical. 

Next was the waiting game.  I've never been to a book signing before so I didn't know what to expect but apparently they are all different based on the person.  Ree just happens to love to chat and take pictures with people and take her time with everyone.  It took about 2 1/2 hours to make my way to her after she started signing.  Of course, by the time I got her to my voice was gone and I sounded like that little "Charley in the box" toy on that Santa show.  I was squeaky and it was awesome.  I just handed over my books, squatted down with my daughter for a quick picture, chatted briefly about how strangely my name is spelled, and then I was off.  

Ree is really the nicest person.  Even after signing books for more than two hours, by the time I reached her she was pleasant, didn't rush us, and smiled brightly.  We were her last stop before heading home to Oklahoma to see her family for the holiday's, and yet she was so pleasant and beautiful.  I'm so glad my first experience at a book signing was with The Pioneer Woman.  I've read things about her, staying for as long as it takes to sign all the books, and I know that to be true.  The book store had closed by the time I left and they were going to stay open for as long as it took to get everyone in line.  It was fabulous.  If you ever get a chance to meet her, it's WELL worth your time!

Oh, and one more thing, it was the strangest thing, when I met her I felt like we were old friends.  Seriously.  I wasn't nervous and I didn't trip and land on my face.  After watching her on TV, reading her blog every day, and having all her books, it was just second nature to see her in person.  Very calming experience.  :)

Special thanks to my husband for occupying our daughter during the long wait, driving us, and taking our picture.  One of her "helpers" took my camera and took a picture also but it's fuzzy. Thank you honey!

No comments: