This was by far my favorite dish on Thanksgiving. I love sweet potatoes, but I also love sweet dishes so this one has all that covered. I plan to make this every year from now on.
This is a super simple casserole to throw together. It's as easy as boiling the potatoes until tender and then just mashing them with the rest of the ingredients, topping with marshmallows and baking. Simple.
You can taste a little hint of the orange juice which doesn't overpower the flavor of the sweet potato. The marshmallows get crunchy on top (my favorite part) and sort of ooze over the potatoes. It's just fabulous. There's no other way to describe it.
This would be perfect on your holiday dinner table this year.
Sweet Potato Casserole
Recipe from AllRecipes
- 5 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp orange juice
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- 1 (10.5 package) miniature marshmallows
- Place the sliced sweet potatoes in a large pot and fill with cold water until about 1 inch above the potatoes. Cook over medium heat until boiling, continue to boil until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Remove from the heat, drain.
- Use a potato masher, a stand mixer with the paddle attachment or a hand held mixer to puree the potatoes until smooth.
- Add the butter, brown sugar, orange juice and cinnamon and mix well.
- Spread into a 9x13 inch dish and cover with the marshmallows.
- Bake at 350º for 25-30 minutes or until the marshmallows are golden brown and puffy.