February 7, 2014

Blueberry Muffins (Vegan but you'd never know it)





This recipe surprised me.  Not because it's vegan but because my daughter loves them!  My daughter is such a picky eater and yet she still loves them.  I couldn't be happier.

Some people ask me what vegan actually is, so here's a short description and it can change depending on personal preference. Vegan's don't eat dairy (including eggs) or meat.  Some vegan's don't eat oil and some people just try not to have sugar either.  So there  you have it, you'll notice by the recipe below that there aren't any eggs or butter in this recipe.  I used frozen blueberries which is why mine sort of had a blue tinge of color, if you use fresh berries that won't happen as much.

The muffins had ton's of blueberry flavor, they were moist inside and golden brown with a little crunch from the sugar on top.  I love them and so does my husband.  I usually include one in my daughter's lunch or for a quick breakfast when we're on the run.

I hope you'll give these a try even if you aren't vegan, you'd be surprised by how many things you probably already eat that would be classified as vegan foods. :)

Vegan Blueberry Muffins
From Good Housekeeping's Family Vegetarian Cooking page 23

Ingredients
  • 1 cup old fashioned oats
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 1/4 cups unsweetened non-dairy milk (I used almond/coconut)
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce (I used cinnamon)
  • 3 Tbsp canola oil
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 cups blueberries (I used frozen)
  • 1 tsp granulated sugar
Cooking Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 400º
  2. Put 12 muffin cup liners in a muffin tin.
  3. Use a food processor to grind up the oats into a fine power. 
  4. Add the ground up oats to the bowl along with both flour's, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
  5. In a small bowl use a fork to combine the non-dairy milk, applesauce, oil and vanilla extract.
  6. Now add the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until moist.
  7. Add the blueberries and incorporate well.
  8. Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin tin, the cups will be very full.
  9. Sprinkle the sugar over the tops of the muffins.
  10. Bake for 23-25 minutes. Muffins are done when a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. 
  11. Remove to a wire rack to cool. 

No comments: