February 19, 2014

Lo Mein with Sugar Snap Peas and Carrots




Sometimes I just have a major craving for Lo Mein.  I'm usually way to lazy to actually go out and pick some up.  I was totally thrilled to see a vegan version of it in a cookbook I borrowed from the library and knew I had to try it. The only bad part about this recipe is that now I know Oriental Ramen noodles are vegan.  This is bad because I know how bad they are and yet seeing them in this recipe was basically giving me permission to eat them.  So I did.  I had to.  For experimental purposes of course.

I'm happy to report that this recipe is delicious.  It doesn't hurt that it has my weakness in it (Ramen noodles) but it also has all the veggies I like.  I have to tell you that the original recipe calls for tofu and not as much sugar snap peas, but I'm not a huge fan of tofu so I left it out.  You can do that as the cook, customize what you're making to suit your tastes.  :)

You could easily modify this recipe to fit your carnivorous tastes by adding chicken, beef or shrimp so feel free to make it your own.

Lo Mein with Sugar Snap Peas and Carrots
From Good Housekeeping The Family Vegetarian Cooking page 136


Ingredients
  • 2 packages (3 ounces) Oriental flavor ramen noodles
  • 2 tsp vegetable oil
  • 6 ounces (2 cups) sugar snap peas, cut into 1" pieces
  • 3 green onions, cut into 2" pieces
  • 1 package (5 ounces, 1 1/2 cup) shredded carrots
  • 1/2 cup bottled stir-fry sauce
  • 3 ounces (1 cup) fresh bean sprouts, rinsed and drained
Cooking Directions
  1. Heat a large pot of water to boil over high heat. Add ramen noodles but reserve the seasoning packets, cook for 2 minutes. Drain the water but reserve 1/4 cup of the cooking water.
  2. Meanwhile in a 12 inch skillet, heat the oil over medium high heat, or until very hot. 
  3. Add the peas and green onions, cook until they are tender crisp (3 to 5 minutes).
  4. Stir in the carrots, stir-fry sauce, and 1 ramen noodle flavor packet to taste depending on how much salt is in the stir-fry sauce. Cook until the carrots are tender, about 2 minutes. (Discard remaining flavor packet or save for another use). 
  5. Save some bean sprouts for garnish at the end. 
  6. Add the noodles and the reserved cooking water and bean sprouts and cook for 1 minute, while stirring. 
  7. Sprinkle with remaining bean sprouts and serve. 

No comments: