February 5, 2014

Dinner Club: Theme - Healthy Foods

Dinner club took a slight hiatus this last year but we're back on track for 2014.  I hosted January's dinner club and I chose "healthy" just because it was January and everyone I know is on a diet.  I wanted to see what other people were making for their own families so I could promptly steal their recipes. :) Not steal so much as just kindly borrow.

Turns out my neighbors make some killer healthy food.  Not everyone submitted recipes to me but I'm still going to show pictures and describe them the best I can.

Thank you everyone for coming to dinner at my house!  I can't wait till the next one!



I cannot believe that I didn't remove the cap to the fruit dip BEFORE taking a picture.  UGH!  I promise to make this again myself very soon and replace this horrible picture.  I'm so sorry because this dip was the my biggest weakness of the night.  I LOVED it!

This dip was brought my Melissa Y.  She brought one other item too but hasn't given me the recipe for it just yet.  I will post it as soon as I get it.

Chocolate Fruit Dip
Recipe from EmilyBites via Taste Of Home Cooking School Cookbook



Ingredients
  • 8 ounces 1/3 less fat cream cheese, at room temperature
  • 1/3 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/3 cup cocoa powder
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 cups light whipped topping
Cooking Directions
  1. In a bowl or a stand mixer beat the cream cheese, sugar and cocoa powder together until creamy.
  2. Add the vanilla extract and whipped topping and beat together again until thoroughly mixed and smooth.
  3. Serve with any fruit, graham crackers, marshmallows or anything that might be delicious covered in chocolate.




I had posted about these meatballs already but here they are again.  They were nice to have at dinner club not only because of their yummy flavor but also because they were in the slow cooker and they didn't require my constant attention.

Slow Cooker Buffalo Turkey Meatballs
Recipe from here

Meatballs
  • 1 pound lean ground turkey
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/4 cup onion, chopped
  • 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
  • 1/2 tsp oregano
  • 1 whole egg, beaten
  • 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
Sauce
  • 1/3 cup butter, melted
  • 1/2 cup wing sauce (I used Franks)
Cooking Directions
  1. Mix all of the meatball ingredients together in a medium bowl making sure the ingredients are well dispersed.
  2. I used a small cookie scoop to get even sized meatballs. Roll them in your hands to make them a nice round shape. 
  3. Place the meatballs in your slow cooker and pour the sauce over the top.
  4. Set the slow cooker on low and cook for about 3-4 hours.

This dessert is one I made based on the fact that it didn't use sugar, which I gave up in January….well tried to give up.  I did sample some of the cake below.  I had to, as a blogger it was only right.

The filling in these little babies does taste like cheesecake and with no sugar you don't have to feel guilty about two or three or four.  Just sayin.

Cheesecake Stuffed Strawberries
Recipe from French Press

Ingredients
  • 1 pound hulled strawberries
  • 8 ounces 1/3 less fat cream cheese, room temperature
  • 1/2 cup fat free or low fat Greek yogurt
  • 2 Tbsp honey
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  •  graham cracker crumbs
Cooking Directions
  1. Combine the cream cheese, yogurt, honey and vanilla in a bowl and use a hand mixer or a stand mixer to cream the ingredients together until smooth.
  2. Use either a small spoon to scoop the cream into the hulled strawberries or use a frosting bag and tip for a more decorative design.
  3. Top each cream filled strawberry with the graham cracker crumbs.


Brought by Lynn T this was our one "not so healthy" OK not healthy at all but totally delicious and very much appreciated cake.  Very chocolaty and moist, great option if you need a dessert and don't have time to use traditional methods!

Crock Pot Chocolate Cake
Recipe from Cooks.com



Ingredients
  • 1 box chocolate cake mix
  • 8 ounces sour cream
  • 1 package instant chocolate pudding
  • 4 whole eggs
  • 3/4 cup oil
  • 1 cup water
Cooking Directions
  1. Mix all the ingredients together and pour into a 5 quart slow cooker sprayed with cooking spray, or you can use a metal coffee can or a crock pot cake bake pan.
  2. cover
  3. Cook 3-4 hours on high or 6-8 on low


Another great recipe brought from Lynn T was this Couscous and Lentil recipe.  I really liked it and I think everyone else did too.  I'm a huge fan of Feta cheese and it was the perfect cheese here.  Healthy really does taste good!

Mediterranean Couscous and Lentil Salad
Recipe from MyRecipes


Ingredients
  • 1 cup dried lentils
  • 1 can (14 oz) low sodium chicken broth
  • 1 1/2 cups uncooked couscous
  • 1 cup red diced bell pepper
  • 1 cup fresh mint
  • 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
  • 1/2 cup green onions, chopped
  • 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
  • 1 1/2 tsp garlic, minced
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper
  • 1 cup (4 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
Cooking Directions
  1. Place lentils in a large saucepan and cover with water so it's 2 inches above the lentils.  Bring to a boil, cover and then turn to simmer and let cook for 25-30 minutes. Drain well and cool.
  2. Bring the broth to a boil in a medium sauce pan, add the couscous.  Remove from the heat, cover and let stand for 5 minutes.  Fluff with a fork. 
  3. Combine the lentils, couscous, bell pepper, mint, parsley and onions. Stir together in a large bowl. 
  4. In a small bowl combine the lemon juice, oil, Dijon, garlic and black pepper.  Whisk to combine and then pour over the lentil mixture.  Add the crumbled feta and gently mix. 
The pictures below are for the other items that were brought but that I didn't receive recipes for. 



Beautiful spinach salad with cucumbers, beets, and avocado's brought by Emily L.  Thanks Emily!


I'm not sure of the exact name for these but they were little pizza's in won ton wrappers brought by Melissa Y.  She brought some marinara to dip them in and they were so so good.  Thanks Melissa!


Spaghetti with tomatoes, Kalamata olives and plenty of Feta cheese brought by Shannon B.  I love these flavors together.  Yummy, thanks Shannon!


Lisa F brought some yummy sushi and California rolls.  Delicious!  Thanks Lisa!


No comments: