February 10, 2014

Homemade Fruit Bars



Whenever possible I try to make snacks for my daughter to have at home and to take to school with her for snack time.  I've made fig newton's here and she loves them.  

Just use your child's favorite preserves or jam for the filling and you should have a winner.

I found this recipe very easy to make.  I was wondering about the dough at first because it seemed really crumbly but it worked perfectly after it baked.  I let them cool completely and they held their shape while still being soft with a crumbly topping. I store them in a air proof container in the refrigerator.

These bars are a great option if you're looking for something easy and delicious to put in a lunchbox or to have at home for a snack. If I'm packing some for my daughters snack at school I usually put them in a Tupperware container and not a zip lock bag so they hold their shape throughout the day.

Homemade Fruit Bars
Recipe from Two Pea's and Their Pod via Weelicious Lunches



Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1 1/2 cups old fashioned oats
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 3/4 cup unsalted butter, cold and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
  • 2 Tbsp cold water
  • 3/4 cup fruit preserves or jam
Cooking Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 350º
  2. Using your food processor, combine the flour, oats and pulse for about 30 seconds.
  3. Add the sugar, salt, butter and butter and pulse until the dough holds together when pressed.
  4. Spray a 9x13 inch dish with cooking spray and then line with parchment paper and spray it as well.
  5. Put half the dough in the prepared pan and press it in using your hands or a spatula.
  6. Spread the jam on the dough and then top with the remaining dough and press down with your hands or a spatula.
  7. Bake for 45 minutes or until golden brown.
  8. Cut into the bar size you desire and serve.

No comments: