You may or may not know that my neighborhood does a dinner club once a month. See, the theme was cheese. I saw this recipe on Pinterest and have been dying to give it a try so I knew this event was the perfect one to break it out. This sandwich does take grilled cheese to a whole new level. Some people are just so smart, I mean how did I not think of this? It's brilliant.
So basically you can leave off the pepper jack cheese if you're not into spice, or you can make it even spicier by adding some hot sauce or even jalapeños. Really, this sandwich makes me realize all the grilled cheese possibilities that I've been neglecting my whole life.
You need to try this sandwich. Seriously. Try it!
Spicy Grilled Cheese with Caramelized Onions and Barbecue Sauce
Recipe modified slightly from Ring Finger Tan Line
- 8 slices bread (your choice but I used sourdough)
- sharp cheddar cheese, sliced (about 1 slice per sandwich but it depends on bread size)
- pepper jack cheese, sliced (depends on bread size)
- 1 large red onion, sliced thin
- 1/4 cup or more of your favorite barbecue sauce
- Slice the onion thinly and place into a large skillet with about a Tbsp of oil or butter.
- Cook on medium low for about 15 minutes or until the onions are soft and turning golden.
- Remove the onions to a small bowl and top with barbecue sauce, stir together until coated. Add more sauce depending on how saucy you want it.
- Butter one side of each piece of bread and lay on piece of bread on a hot skillet or griddle. Lay both the cheeses on top of that slice of bread, top the cheese with the saucy onions and place another piece of bread (butter side up) on top the onions.
- Repeat with the remaining bread, cheese and onion mixture.
- Watch the sandwiches carefully so they do not get over brown on the bottom, when golden flip them over and cook the other side until golden over medium heat. Takes about 4-5 minutes on the first side and 2-3 minutes on the second side.