December 3, 2012

Egg Custard Pie



This is one of my husbands favorite pie's.  I think he used to have it when he grew up in New England and it brings back all sorts of warm cozy memories for him.

I didn't grow up with custard pie, one of the few pies that I could take or leave really.  I left the taste testing of this one up to my husband since he's sort of the expert and all.  Well, he loved it.  If you're an egg custard pie fan then this might be a good one for you to try out.

He always tops his with whipped cream which I would say is perfect since this is sort of a delicate pie.  Ice cream would probably just flatten it.  Also, you serve this pie cold so ice cream wouldn't really accent it at all.

I found this recipe very easy to make.  I usually only make this recipe once a year anyway but I'm always nervous that it'll be raw in the middle and run all over the place when I cut it.  Part of the key to making sure it's not going to do that is knowing how the surface should look when you take it out of the oven.  The edges should be sort of firm and the middle will move a little bit when you giggle the dish but not like water, more like jello.  Does that make sense?


The taste of egg custard pie is sort of how it sounds.  It's sort of like a milky egg flavor, the consistency is very creamy.  Sort of like a cream pie but different somehow.  It's sweet but not overpoweringly sweet.  It's great after a big Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner because you've just had all sorts of flavors and textures and this is very mild and just a perfect ending to dinner.

If you've never tried one before I encourage you to do so. The nutmeg on the top makes it a very popular holiday pie.  Enjoy!

Recipe from Allrecipes.com

Ingredients
  • 1-9 inch unbaked pie crust
  • 3 eggs, beaten
  • 3/4 cups white sugar
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 egg white (to brush over the crust)
  • 2 1/2 cups milk
  • 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
Directions

  1. Preheat the oven to 400º
  2. In a medium saucepan, scald the milk (see below for instructions)
  3. While the milk is scalding mix the eggs, sugar, salt, and vanilla extract in a medium bowl.  Stir in the scalded milk a little at a time (maybe 1/4 cup at a time) while whisking so the eggs do not scramble.  Once the egg mixture is warm you can add it to the remaining scalded milk, while whisking. Stir well. 
  4. Line a pie plate with the prepared crust.  Brush the sides and bottom of the crust with the egg white so that the crust will not turn soggy. The mixture will be runny. 
  5. Pour the custard mix into the pie shell and sprinkle the top with nutmeg. 
  6. Bake for 30 - 35 minutes.  You will know it's done when the edges are set but the middle is sort of jiggly.  Insert a knife into the center and if it comes out clean it's ready.  
  7. Cool before cutting. 

How to scald milk: Heat the milk in a saucepan over low heat until bubbles begin to form around the edges but before the milk is boiling.  



3 comments:

Alyssamay's said...

To the person who posted a comment earlier - for some reason it won't "publish" on my page but I wanted to address the questions you had and let you know that I have modified the instructions, which will hopefully help. I used the original post to write the instructions, and since I had already baked the pie and it turned out great I just didn't think to modify what the original post had written. I apologize and hope that your pie turned out. I'm grateful for the comment and I think I have rectified the issues you found. Thank you for looking at my blog and Happy Holiday's!

HmLandry said...

Thanks for addressing my questions! They came out ok. I just ignored the double milk, threw the vanilla in while mixing, and added an additional egg yolk to firm it up a bit. It was good. Your site looks nice, too.

Alyssamay's said...

Excellent! Thank you!