Looking for a yummy New Years Eve cocktail? I have one! Now is the time to make this yummy drink because it does need to sit for a week but after that you're going to have a really delicious drink mixer. I made some a week ago and just tried it last night and was very pleased with the fruity taste.
It's so easy to put together and would be yummy next to the pool this summer too. You should run out and put some cranberries in your freezer for just such an occasion. Or make some up now and just store it till July...
The flavors made me of the cranberry sauce I've made for Thanksgiving the last two years and my husband and I both love. Very seasonal! You can really taste the orange and the color is a beautiful red with sparkles from the club soda I used.
Peel two oranges and place the peels in some large mason jars.
Pour a 750 ml of vodka over the top.
Cook the cranberries, sugar and vanilla on the stove and then let cool.
Now add the cooled cranberry mixture evenly between the two mason jars. Now seal them up with lids and let them sit for a week.
Strain the mixture and toss the cranberries and orange peel. Refrigerate the vodka and when you're ready to serve, pour two ounces into a glass with lots of ice. Top off with club soda or tonic water and add a lime for garnish.
Recipe from The Food Network
- 1 pound fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract or 1 vanilla bean split
- 2 oranges, peels cut into 2 inch strips
- 1 bottle vodka (750 ml)
- Tonic water or club soda
- lime slices for garnish
- In two large mason jars with lids, add the orange peels and pour the vodka on top.
- Use a medium sized saucepan and add the cranberries, sugar and vanilla and cook over medium heat until the cranberries have popped. About 5 minutes or so.
- Let the cranberry mixture cool.
- When the cranberry mixture is cool add it to the vodka and orange slices and then cover with an airtight lid and let sit for 1 week.
- After a week, strain the vodka and pour into a clear container with a lid.
- Store in the refrigerator.
- When ready to serve, pour 2 ounces of the cranberry-orange vodka in a glass with ice and top with tonic water and a fresh lime slice for garnish.