December 5, 2012

Orange Gumdrops


My husband and daughter and I went to a viewing of "Brave" at our local library last night.  My daughter and I had already seen in in IMax 3D but my husband hadn't seen it yet.  During the 3D version of this movie my daughter had her head buried in my shoulder for the last half of the movie.  There is a scary part at the end but she was even scared (or maybe just bored) around the middle of it and wanted to leave the theater.  Well, pretty much that exact same scenario played out last night.  I'm sort of over trying to go to free movie screenings now.  This is the second time we've gone to the library and both times it has been completely packed and if you move over one little inch the kids next to you take over that inch and you're slowly squeezed out.  Last night I tried to play it safe and not give up any of our hard earned space only to realize that I could no longer feel my legs.  I was SO thankful when my daughter turned to me and said "can we leave, this movie scaring me"?  I was like, oh of course my dear sweet darling daughter, I would absolutely love to leave....can you help me walk? I can't walk...seriously.  I think I looked less than graceful trying to work my way out of that room. 

That story really has nothing to do with today's post.  

Have you ever had those little orange jelly candies that are in the shape of an orange slice? I love those things.  These are just like that only not in the shape of an orange, not as shockingly orange in color but twice as yummy in taste.  I didn't even have to add any food coloring and look how beautifully orange they are!  Loved the flavor!  Loved the texture! Loved everything about these candies!


I will make these again and when I do I will post some additional pictures to help you in the process.  The picture above is what your candy will look like when you remove it from the loaf pan and before you start cutting pieces.


I ended up cutting mine into about 1 inch cubes.  Then I cut each cube in half again and dredged each piece in sugar.

As mentioned in the post I linked below, once you get the hang of how to make these you can mix up the flavors and make some mint, raspberry or pretty much any other flavor's you can think of.

A good candy thermometer is important here and I only slightly changed the recipe from the link below by not adding any food coloring.

I hope you give these a try!

Orange Gumdrops
Modified slightly from The Way To His Heart

Ingredients
  • 1 tsp plus 1 Tbsp butter, softened, divided
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 cup light corn syrup
  • 3/4 cup water
  • 1 package powdered fruit pectin (1 3/4 ounces)
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 1/2 tsp orange extract
  • 1 tsp orange zest
  • additional sugar (optional)
Directions
  1. 9x5 inch loaf pan lined with tin foil and buttered with 1 tsp butter (I used cooking spray)
  2. Grease a large heavy saucepan on the sides and bottom with the remaining butter. 
  3. Add the sugar and corn syrup and cook over medium heat until the mixture begins to boil.  Turn the heat up to medium high and cook until the temperature reaches 280 degrees on a candy thermometer. 
  4. Meanwhile, in a separate large saucepan combine the water, pectin and baking soda.  This mixture will bubble a little. Cook and stir over high heat until mixture boils. Remove from heat and set aside. 
  5. When the corn syrup mixture has reached 280 degrees, remove from the heat. 
  6. Return the pectin mixture to the heat and cook on medium high until it begins to simmer.  Slowly pour in the corn syrup mixture in a small stream while stirring consistently. Cook for 1 minute. 
  7. Remove from the heat and stir in the extract and peel. 
  8. Pour into the prepared pan and let sit for two hours. 
  9. Remove from the dish by pulling up the tin foil and cut into desired sized pieces.  Coat in sugar if desired. 

No comments: